Australian National Broadband Network Uses in Small Business
What are the possibilities of NBN in Small Business? See 7 video case studies below.
NBN planned use at a winery
- Sells to many overseas countries
- Allow wineries to share growing information and collaborate.
- Remote wine tasting. Samples at remote site plus video conferencing.
- Allow remote users to see the winery live.
Berry Growing Group Company with NBN
- Communicate with international customers better.
- Make better decision with knowledge of the global berry industry in real time.
- Attract staff to regional areas with excellent Internet connectivity.
- Allow for professional development for over 2000 staff across Australia.
- Integrate networked advanced sensors in the fields for greater growing insights.
- Reduce travel requirements to conduct business.
- Australian technology and science can be applied to overseas markets more easily.
- Stable communications across Australia.
Online Fashion Retailing planning for NBN
- Current online competition is worldwide.
- Interactive and rich media in retailing is the winning formula.
- Content Management System (website) is continually updating.
- Ordering system comes via the Internet.
- Current regional Internet connection has drop outs.
- Desires for online entering of measurements to see 3D images of garments.
- If customers can see how a garment will look like online it reduces the trial and error sizing issues.
- Sample catwalk video with garments in motion add to the user experience.
- Return online customers have a known size and preferences that can help with future suggestions.
Dairy Farm and Cheese Manufacturer ideas for fast broadband
- Video conferencing from regional area to customers saves time and money.
- Business to business video conferencing is good to show new products etc.
- Learn the buyers needs and share product samples remotely.
- Virtual tour of farm, shop of factory could be given.
- Working with industry overseas can be more colaborative with NBN.
- Remote salesforce can be deployed and multimedia information sharing possible
Architects uses of fast broadband
- Cloud applications and backup speed are expected to improve with NBN.
- File sharing using the cloud to clients and stakeholders can be quicker with NBN.
- Remote client visual collaboration could occur in real time saving on travel costs.
- Builder to architect collaboration resolution speed can be improved to the same day.
- Whiteboard sharing of sketches over the Internet can be used to gain understanding of clients needs.
- Arhitects can work together on larger projects across virtual offices.
Specialised Image processing company
- Regional workforce is more stable and cost less.
- All media comes in via broadband (millions per year).
- Digital files are getting bigger and congestion near Christmas is apparent.
- Current bandwidth is a limitation on growth.
- NBN will allow access to remote special skilled staff.
- More business can set up in regional areas with NBN.
- Regional workforce do not have to worry about commute times.
Ebay, e-commerce and the NBN
- 10 million Australians are shopping online with computers and smartphones.
- Online product comparisons and pricing can be gained quickly.
- Business can trade online with reduced rent costs and marketing costs.
- Ebay largest 2000 Australian businesses grew 38% on average in 2010.
- NBN can allow business to upload greater detailed multimedia information to help customers.
- NBN can be used to keep local businesses competitive with a global market.
NBN for Video Editing business from home (European example)
- How is fibre to the home used in Europe for video editing?
- NBN allows video producers to access skills across Europe.
- Move original film content to distant production crews.
- Video conference to colaborate while editing.
- Eliminate previous wasted time moving video and people to complete a video.
What other uses for NBN can you think of? Leverage the cheap cost of computing processing power, cheap computer storage and cheap Internet bandwidth to create a 21st century style business.
The video is part of the NBN Government YouTube channel.
Use the NBN to your advantage.